Total knee replacement is a type of knee surgery in which all the knee joint components are removed and replaced with prosthetic components so as to relieve pain and discomfort and get rid of other symptoms which are triggered by an arthritic joint. Total knee replacement in Delhi is an option for patients whose complete knee joint has been damaged beyond repair and is not responding to any other means of treatment. Total knee replacement offered at all the leading orthopaedic hospitals and clinics including Dr. Vivek Mittal’s Arthritis and Joint Replacement Clinic.
What follows after the surgical procedure is as important as the surgery itself as this greatly determines how successfully it is going to help you. Rehabilitation is the most crucial part of any surgical treatment and especially when it comes to major surgeries total joint replacement. While the rehabilitation period involves a lot of lifestyle modifications and changes, physiotherapy and exercises significantly aid in the same.
Here is a list of 6 early post-operative exercises, listed by Dr. Vivek Mittal, the leading knee replacement specialist in Delhi, that you should definitely try post a total knee replacement.
- Ankle pumps – Slowly move your foot up and down by contracting the muscles of the calf and shin. The exercise is very simple and won’t wear you out. It can be performed several times a day for 2 to 3 minutes, even while you are lying down, watching television or reading a book. If possible, you can even try rotating you’re your foot in a clockwise and anti-clockwise direction. Ankle pumps increase blood circulation to the operated joint and help in prompt recovery. The exercise should be performed until you recover completely.
- Quadriceps sets – You will require a towel for this exercise. Lie down on your back and keep the towel under the ankle. Push the knee back on the bed, keeping the ankle dorsiflexed, while you tighten your thigh muscles. Hold the position for at least 10 seconds and perform 10 to 12 reps. Knee replacement specialists in Delhi suggest that you can also add some weights to the ankle for better results.
- Knee extension exercise – Also known as short arc quadriceps, this exercise also requires a towel roll to support the knee while you are lying down on your back. Make sure that the back-side of your knee is in contact with the pillow at all times. Tighten your thigh muscle and raise your leg to straighten your knees. Hold the position for 10 to 12 seconds and repeat. You do not necessarily need to lie down while performing the exercise and can even do it while sitting.
- Knee Extension & Quadriceps Strengthening Exercise–Sit down on a high chair such that its edge supports your knee from beneath. Straighten your knee slowly by raising your leg. Hold the position for some time and repeat at least 10 times.
- Standing knee bends – The exercise is extremely simple and can be performed anywhere. You just have to stand erect with the help of a walker or crutches. Lift the operated leg and bend your knee as much as you can. Hold the position for 5 to 8 seconds or more if possible. Bring down the leg back to the ground and repeat 8 to 10 times.
- Straight leg raises – This is one of the easiest exercises which requires you to lie down straight on your back. Lift your leg straight without bending your knee to make an angle of at least 30 to 60 degrees with the ground. Hold the position for some time and repeat.
Initially, you might require some help with these exercises but gradually you will get used to them and would be able to perform them on your own.